Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

2018 05 29 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage Car Accident Broken Windshield

What is Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage?

In the same way Uninsured Motorist coverage helps protect your body, Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) helps protect your car. In a case where someone without insurance hits your car and is at fault or you’re on the receiving end of a hit-and-run, UMPD can help pay for the damages done to your vehicle.

Real life example:

You come out of the grocery store to discover someone grossly miscalculated the space they had to park next to you. Now the spot is empty and your car’s side is badly dented and scraped. UMPD coverage can help cover the cost to rid your ride of the dents and repaint it.

Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage?

If you have Collision coverage, it should cover you even if an uninsured driver hits your vehicle. But if you don’t have Collision coverage, it may be in your best interest to purchase UMPD coverage. It’s a low cost option designed to protect your vehicle in the situation where the guy who caused your damage doesn’t have insurance to pay for his carelessness.

What Happens If I Have This Coverage And My Car Is Hit by an Uninsured Driver?

If you have either Collision or UMPD coverage, you would file a claim with your insurance company, pay the deductible, and receive the funds to repair your vehicle, up to the limit stated in your policy. At Say, UMPD deductibles vary by state (between $200-$250) and you can purchase any of these coverage limits:

  • $10,000 per accident
  • $15,000 per accident
  • $25,000 per accident

What States Require UMPD?

While UMPD coverage is not required by as many states as Uninsured Motorist, these states include it in their minimum coverage:

  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Vermont
  • Washington D.C.
  • West Virginia